Showing off a beautiful, healthy smile means brushing well and often. The American Dental Association recommends brushing your teeth twice a day for dental hygiene and to promote dental health. However, there is more to it than just squeezing some toothpaste on your brush and rubbing it along your teeth.
It may seem silly to read about proper brushing technique. You’ve been brushing your teeth your whole life, right? Unfortunately, most people don’t get the maximum benefit from the time spent brushing each day. The following tips will help you get the most out of your efforts in between visits to Dr. Dove.
1. On the outer and inner surfaces, brush your teeth at a 45-degree angle in short, half-tooth-wide strokes against the gum line.
2. On the chewing surfaces, hold the brush flat and brush back and forth.
3. On the inside surfaces of your front teeth, tilt the brush vertically and use gentle up and down strokes with the toe of the brush.
4. Brush your tongue in a back-to-front sweeping motion to remove food particles and freshen your mouth. If you don’t have one, you might look into getting a toothbrush with a tongue cleaner/brush.
5. Spend at least 30 seconds on each quadrant of your mouth, adding up to two minutes each time you brush.
6. Change out your toothbrush every three months. It might be helpful to write the date you should buy a new toothbrush on the handle with a permanent marker.
Make sure flossing and regular visits to Dr. Dove are a part of your dental hygiene routine!